This Dattatreya Jayanti, follow the necessary rites and rituals and get blessings in abundance from Lord Dattatreya who also encompasses the Holy Trinity.
The realm of Hinduism finds the mention of many Gods and Goddesses. Hence, one bears witness to the commemoration of many festivals and fasts which are dedicated to various divine beings. One such festival which we will be discussing today is Dattattreya Jayanti which is dedicated to the Hindu God, Datta. The traditional scriptures of Hinduism reveal that Lord Dattatreya is the amalgamation of the Holy Trinity which includes Lord Brahma, Vishnu and Shiva. Along with observing fasts on this day, natives meditate to offer their reverence to Lord Dattatreya. In the current year, Dattatreya Jayanti will be celebrated on Wednesday, i.e., 11 December 2019. If we take the Hindu Panchang into account, then it will fall on the Purnima Tithi of Margashirsha month, which begins at 11:01:22 AM of 11 December. Let us now have a look at the Muhurat for this auspicious occasion which is mentioned below.
Dattatreya Jayanti 2019 Muhurat
|Purnima Tithi Begins||11:01:22 AM on 11 December 2019|
|Purnima Tithi Ends||10:44:24 AM on 12 December 2019|
Note: This Muhurat is applicable for New Delhi area only. Kindly Click Here to know the auspicious Muhurat for your city or town.
Lord Dattatreya’s Significance in Hinduism
The day on which Lord Dattatreya’s genesis occured is widely celebrated all over the nation as Dattatreya Jayanti. It is believed that his incarnation took place on the Full Moon day of Margashirsha month, when he encompassed within himself all the three primary deities of Hindu religion namely Vishnu, Mahesh and Brahma. Although he is given this status to be the beholder of the Holy Trinity, he is specially worshipped as an incarnation of our Universe’s preserver, Lord Vishnu. At the same time, his siblings are Sage Durvasa and the Moon God, are believed to be the incarnations of Shiva and Brahma respectively. Devotees of Dattatreya perform his Puja on this day to obtain redemption from all kinds of ancestral debts and difficulties. Usually Dattatreya Jayanti is celebrated all over the nation, but its grand celebrations take place in the states of Maharashtra, Karnataka, Andhra Pradesh and Gujarat as the important Temples dedicated to this Lord are situated in these places.
Also Read : Sri Krishnashtakam Hymns & Stotram
Dattatreya Jayanti: Mythological Significance
A popular Hindu legend narrates the incipience of Lord Dattatreya. It goes back to the ancient times when a Sage named Atri resided on this planet with his wife Anasuya. Anasuya was regarded in all the three worlds for her pious and chaste nature. However, when the time arrived for her to bear children, she expressed the dire wish of her heart to give birth to a child who had equal qualities as those of the Holy Trinity(Brahma, Vishnu and Mahesh). This wish of hers generated seeds of jealousy in the hearts of the consorts of the three Lords. They decided to teach Anasuya a lesson and hence deputed their respective husbands to rob Anasuya’s chastity.
The three Gods took the disguise of saints and asked Anasuya to offer alms to them while being naked. Anasuya thought of something and sprinkled some water on them, while chanting a Mantra, which turned them into small babies instantly. Later on, obliging to their wishes, she fed her milk them while being naked. When Sage Atri returned back home, she narrated the entire incident to her husband, who was already aware of the occurences. He heartily welcomed the three babies and converted them into a single baby with six hands three heads. When the wives of the Gods got to know about this incident, they pleaded with Anasuya to forgive them and return their husbands back. Anasuya agreed and gave their husbands back to them and the Gods in turn gave her a new baby, who came to be known as Dattatreya later on. This marks the birth anniversary of Lord Datta, which is celebrated as Dattatreya Jayanti.
Dattatreya Jayanti: Rites and Rituals to Follow
As it has mentioned before, during Dattatreya Jayanti, people offer prayers to Lord Datta to gain redemption from any kind of ancestral debts and troubles. However, there are some special rituals which should be followed on this day. Some of them are mentioned below.
- Just like in any other religious festival, on the day of the Dattatreya Jayanti too, natives should wake up early in the morning and take a bath.
- It is considered even more auspicious to take baths in a holy river or reservoir.
- As fasts are observed on this day, natives should take an oath to observe it once they have purified themselves.
- While the Puja ceremony is going on, natives should offer incense sticks, some specific flowers, sweets, camphor and lamps.
- As a part of the Puja, one should place an idol or picture of Lord Dattatreya and apply vermilion, sandalwood and turmeric to it.
- Devotional songs should be sung and devotional books like Jivanmukta Gita and Avadhuta Gita should be read after the successful commencement of the Puja.
- Once the previous rituals are completed, devotees should circumambulate around the Lord’s picture or idol seven times.
- Afterwards, perform the Lord’s Aarti.
- Later on, distribute Prasad among the devotees after offering it to the Lord.
- Natives can also meditate on this day in front of Lord Datta’s idol or picture.
- Chant “Sree Guru Dattatreyaya Namah” to purify your mind as well as your soul.
We hope that you will appreciate this blog of ours on Dattatreya Jayanti. May the Lord bless you with happiness and prosperity in abundance. Thankyou for staying connected with us!!!