Mauni Amavasya 2020: The Hindu Panchang notes down 12 New Moon nights. Of these, the Mauni Amavasya has a special significance attached to it.
As per the ancient scriptures, Mauni Amavasya, which falls in the month of Magha, is exceptional — doing charity, bathing in the sacred Ganga or any holy river while remaining silent (Maun), are considered especially auspicious on this day. Religious beliefs say that the word ‘Mauni’ actually comes from the word ‘Muni’ meaning saint; therefore fasting and bathing in a holy river while staying mum can help you ascend to the position of a Saint. Mauni Amavasya 2020 is special because this year, Saturn is also making its transit on this very day, to enter its sign Capricorn after 30 years.
Click Here To Read More: Saturn Transit 2020
Mauni Amavasya Auspicious Timings: Magha Amavasya Muhurat
|Day||Date||Begin Timings||End Timings|
|Friday||24 January 2020||02:19:25||03:13:36|
Note: This Muhurat is for Delhi, India. Click here to know the auspicious timings in your city: Magha Amavasya Muhurat
Mauni Amavasya 2020: Getting Rid of Pitru Dosha
It is believed that offering water in the name of your ancestors after bathing in the holy river Ganga, on Mauni Amavasya helps one’s pitras attain peace. Pind Daan is also done on this day for the same reason.
Remedies To Perform For Pacifying Our Ancestors
- On the day of Mauni Amavasya, take a small round metal pot filled with water, and put a red flower and some black sesame seeds in it.
- With reverence in your heart, remember your ancestors, and offer this water to Lord Sun, and pray for the removal of Pitru Dosha.
- Now cook your ancestors’ favourite food and give its first part to a cow, second to a dog, and third to a crow. This will help you attain the blessings of your pitras.
- Light a lamp of ghee under a peepal tree in your ancestors’ name.
- Donate seven types of grains or something made of sesame to a needy person or a Brahaman on this day to appease your pitras.
Mauni Amavasya 2020: Getting Rid of Kaal Sarp Dosha
Specific remedies on Mauni Amavasya can help one eliminate the Kaal Sarp Dosha from their kundali.
Know If your Kundali Has Kaal Sarp Dosha: Kaal Sarp Dosha Calculator
Remedies To Perform For Pacifying Our Ancestors
- Bath in a holy river on Mauni Amavasya, and then worship the silver idol of a Naag-Nagin couple. Present white flowers to them as an oblation, and then offer the figurine to flowing water. This gives you freedom from the Kaal Sarp Dosha.
- Recite the Laghu Rudra yourself, after bathing. If you face some problems in reading it yourself, then you can listen to it from a Brahman.
- Chanting the Nava Naga Stotram on Magha Amavasya is also beneficial.
- Do charity for a Brahman or a needy person, as per your capabilities.
- Visit a Shiva temple on Mauni Amavasya and present a copper idol of Naag-Nagin on the Shivling as an oblation.
- Offer white flowers, batashe, raw milk, white cloth, rice, and white-coloured sweets in flowing water, and pray for the eradication of the Dosha from Sheshanaga.
- Establish the Kaal Sarp Yantra on Mauni Amavasya and light a lamp of ghee or mustard oil in front of it daily.
Significance of Mauni Amavasya
In general, any auspicious task is prohibited during the New Moon. However, from a spiritual perspective and according to Vedic Astrology and Puranas, there is a special significance attached to each Amavasya. According to scriptures, one can eliminate several doshas by fasting on a New Moon.
As per mythology, Lord Manu was born on Mauni Amavasya which is another reason behind its name. Bathing in holy rivers, doing charity, fasting, and remaining mum are considered an essential part of its commemoration. Moreover, if someone cannot fast on this day, then they can still celebrate Mauni Amavasya by eating only sweet food. Bathing in holy rivers on this day, not only brings peace to your ancestors but also brings a multifold increase in your virtues.
Mauni Amavasya 2020: What To Do
- Offer water to Lord Sun to remove poverty and impoverishment from your home.
- Take 108 rounds, around the plant of Tulsi (basil)
- Natives who have a malefic or an afflicted Moon in their kundali should offer curd and rice to a cow.
- Those who do not get the opportunity to bathe in a holy river can add a little Gangajal in their bathing water and shower in it.
Mauni Amavasya 2020: What Not To Do
- The night of a New Moon is considered one of the darkest and blackest. Inauspicious activities, ghosts, evil and vengeful spirits, black magic, and negative powers remain their strongest on this night; therefore, you should avoid going to secluded places on Mauni Amavasya.
- Sleeping for too long is also inauspicious.
- Avoid disrespecting anyone on this day.
- Tamasic food and drinking alcohol are also prohibited.
For Astrological Remedies including Gemstones, Yantra, etc., Visit: AstroSage Online Shopping Store
We Hope This Mauni Amavasya Brings You Prosperity & Peace! Thank You For Being A Part Of AstroSage!