Read the detailed teachings of Guru Nanak Dev and touch great heights of success. Also, find out some interesting trivia about primary Sikh religious place, Nankana Sahib.
Every year, the full moon or Purnima Tithi of Kartik month is celebrated as the birth anniversary of Guru Nanak Dev, the first religious leader of the Sikh community. It is believed that Guru Nanak Dev Ji was born on 15 April 1469 in a place called Talwandi Raibhoy, which is now currently known by the name Nankana Sahib. This place happens to be a big city located in the Punjab province of Pakistan. Since Guru Nanak Dev was born in this place, it was named after him and later came to be known as Nankana Sahib. Among the historical and religious places for the followers of Sikh religion, Nankana Sahib happens to be a prominent one. Sikh community people from all over the world visit this place to obtain the blessings of Guru Nanak.
Guru Nanak Jayanti 2019: Date and Tithi
In the current year, i.e. 2019, Guru Nanak Jayanti will be celebrated on Tuesday, 12 November. Thus, it will be celebrated all over the world today. The Sikh community people take part in the Nanak Jayanti celebrations with great joy and fervour. Just like the festival of lights, Diwali occupies a special place in the hearts of Hindu people, in the same manner, Sikh people also celebrate Guru Nanak’s birth anniversary just like a grand festival. On this day Shabad-Kirtan and majestic programs are organized in Gurdwaras all over the world. On this occasion, Guruvani is recited in various places and Langars are organized to provide food to the poor and needy.
Guru Nanak Dev’s Life
History states that Guru Nanak Dev was extremely intelligent and spiritual from his early days, which is why legends associated with Nanak Ji’s childhood and life are quite popular all over the world. From his very childhood, he seemed disinterested towards the material pursuits of life. Unlike the other children of his age, he remained inclined towards spirituality rather than focusing on studies and sports. Only at the age of 7-8, he used to answer questions which was considered very difficult by the teachers too. The miracles shown by him from his very childhood granted him the enlightened one. During his lifetime, he opposed many religious and superstitious evils. He gave many sermons to the people, which carried the essence that God is one and his worship is for the followers of every religion.
Follow these Principles of Guru Nanak Dev to Achieve Success in Life
The principles or sermons inaugurated by Guru Nanak Dev were not only popular among the followers of Sikh religion, but also followed by many others in the current century too. By following the teachings, a person can not only make his/her life successful, but can also achieve every kind of happiness in life. Following are the teachings of Guru Nanak:
- God is one
- Each and every human being should worship one God only.
- Always work hard in your life with diligence and worship the Lord
- God is present everywhere.
- The presence of God can be seen in each and every living organism.
- The devotees who seeks the shelter of God gets freed from every kind of fear in this world.
- One should not torment the innocent ones.
- Instead of cribbing for the absence of a particular thing in life, one should always learn to remain happy.
- Instead of earning billions of monetary resources, one should focus on donating a small portion of his/her income to the needy.
- Each and every human being is equal, whether he is a king or a beggar, a man or woman.
- Food is the basic necessity to keep a human body stable and healthy. But one should refrain from exhibiting a greedy attitude.
Get Your Free Kundli Here
Guru Nanak Jayanti 2019 : Rites and Rituals to Follow
Every year, some special tasks and rituals should be followed during Guru Nanak Jayanti, which are mentioned below.
- On the day of Guru Nanak Jayanti, wake up early in the morning and take a holy bath. Afterwards, chant the “ Nit Nam” Panch Vani.
- In the next step, wear clean or light coloured clothes and visit the Gurdwara and bow down in front of the divine.
- It is very auspicious to pay a visit to the Saat Sangat , who is considered to be an incarnation of the Guru.
- Visit the Gurdwara and listen to Gurbani or Kirtan.
- If possible, one should also listen to the history of the Gurus on this day.
- On this day, one should listen to the Ardaas with a devoted and pure mind.
- Offer your services to the Gurdwara as much as possible on this day. Additionally, make contributions to the Langar.
- It is believed that donating one tenth of your hard earned income for religious works and services on the day of Guru Nanak Jayanti will prove to be very fruitful.
- Since it is believed that Guru Nanak Dev was born at 1: 40 AM during the night, Jagran(religious programs) are organized during the night only.
- Before Jagran, the Deewan or a holy podium is decorated for the Guru.
- At the end, offerings are made to the Guru and then distributed amongst the general public and everyone offers the best wishes of Guru Nanak Jayanti to each other.
We hope that you will appreciate this article of ours. We wish you a very happy Guru Nanak Jayanti. Thankyou for staying connected with us!!!