Everyone is aware of the fact that Navratri is a grandiose festival of Navratri and how special it is in the realm of Hinduism. It refers to those 9 days when Goddess Durga remains seated in the houses of her devotees. During this time period, Mata Durga is worshipped duly during the morning and evening upon whose fulfillment, she blesses her devotees. During these nine days, nine different incarnations of Goddess Durga are worshipped.
Apart from this, we would also like the readers to know that this pious festival of Navratri is celebrated five times in a year. During the months of Chaitra, Ashadha, Ashwin, Paush, and in the month of Magha, the festival gets celebrated. However, amongst all of these Navratri(s), Sharad and Chaitra Navratri have a special significance. With this blog today, we will reveal each and every important detail about Sharad Navratri.
When Does Sharad Navratri Begin?
Sharad Navratri, which is also known as Shardiya Navratri is celebrated from Pratipada Tithi to the Navami Tithi of Shukla Paksha during the Ashwin month. Apart from this, because autumn also arrives during this time only, the festival is called Shardiya Navratri. This year, Sharad Navratri is going to be celebrated from 07 October to 15 October.
In the table below, we are providing you the detailed information about which incarnation of Goddess Durga is to be worshiped on which date, along with the Panchang as per the Hindu Calendar.
|Date and Day||Navratri Day||Tithi||Occasion and Names of the Goddess|
|7 October 2021 (Thursday)||Navratri Day 1||Pratipada||Goddess Shailputri & Ghatsthapana|
|8 October 2021(Friday)||Navratri Day 2||Dwitiya||Maa Brahmacharini|
|9 October 2021 (Saturday)||Navratri Day 3||Tritiya||Maa Chandraghanta Puja|
|9 October 2021(Saturday)||Navratri Day 3||Chaturthi||Maa Kushmanda Puja|
|10 October 2021(Sunday)||Navratri Day 4||Panchanmi||Maa Skandamata Puja|
|11 October 2021(Monday)||Navratri Day 5||Sashti||Maa Katyayani Puja|
|12 October 2021(Tuesday)||Navratri Day 6||Saptami||Maa Kalratri Puja|
|13 October 2021(Wednesday)||Navratri Day 7||Ashtami||Maa Mahagauri & Mahaashtami Puja|
|14 October 2021(Thursday)||Navratri Day 8||Navami||Maa SiddhidatriDurga Maha Navami Puja|
|15 October 2021 (Friday)||Navratri Day 9||Dashami||Navratri ParanaDurga VisarjanVijay Dashami|
Navratri : Cultural Traditions & Mythological Significance
First and foremost, let us take a look at the cultural traditions which are followed during Navratri. As a matter of fact, during the 9 days of Navratri, nine different incarnations of Goddess Durga are worshipped. On the very first day of Navratri, the recitation of Durga Saptashati is started with Ghatasthapana (the setting up of Kalash in homes).
Apart from this, fairs are also organized in many Shakti Peethas of the country during this time. Along with this, grand Jhakis(processions) etc. are also taken out during Navratri. Also, during Navratri, many people conduct Jagran in their homes as well as in temples.
Now, if we refer to mythology, then it is to be kept in mind that during Navratri and also by the grace of Goddess Shakti, Lord Rama killed Ravana and manifested this great message that amidst all the wrongs and lies, truth shall and always prevail!
Sharad Navratri Puja Vidhi
- The oath to observe the fast of Navratri is taken on the first day of Navratri. On this day people take a pledge to fast for 2, 3 or 9 days in accordance with their ability.
- After taking the resolution, barley is sown in the Puja podium made of earth and thus the Kalash/urn gets established there. Readers should also know here that in the realm of Hibdu religion and culture, there is a tradition of worshipping Lord Ganesha before initiating any auspicious activity, which is why this tradition is followed.
- Place the Kalash in a place purified with Gangajal. After this, invoke the deities.
- Decorate the Kalash with five types of leaves and also place seven types of grains, some coins and soil in the kalash.
- Install a picture of your Kul Devi on this Kalash.
- Recite the Durga Saptashati during this time and also light the Akhand Jyot(the holy flame). (Read this blog until the end to know the rules and regulations for lighting the Akhand Jyot)
- In the end, recite the Aarti of the Maa Durga and distribute the prasad among all the people.
Sharad Navratri Significance
Who doesn’t want success in his life? Well, it is desired by all. To remain at the receiving end of success, it is very important that you work hard and have the abundant blessings of Gods and Goddesses in your life. Many times people do not see the face of success despite working hard because they lack the blessings of the deities in their life. In such a situation, this holy time of Navratri is considered to be the most appropriate to get the blessings of Maa Durga, because during this time Maa Durga visits Earth for a period of nine days.
In such a situation, it is believed that during Navratri, whoever takes care of things like fasting and worship, cleanliness, eating sattvik food, not getting angry etc. attain her benediction easily.
Not only this, by worshiping the nine different incarnations of Maa Durga during Sharad Navratri, one also gets auspicious results with regards to the planets present in the horoscope. So, let us know which planets of the horoscope can be strengthened by worshiping which Goddess as per the Navaratri days and also know the importance of different colors during the nine days of Navratri.
Advanced Health Report Will Keep You Away From Health Troubles!
|Navratri Day||Associated Goddess||Associated Planet||Associated Colour|
|Day 1||Goddess Shailputri||Moon||Yellow|
|Day 2||Maa Brahmacharini||Mars||Green|
|Day 3||Maa Chandraghanta Puja||Venus||Brown|
|Day 4||Maa Kushmanda Puja||Sun||Orange|
|Day 5||Maa Skandamata Puja||Mercury||White|
|Day 6||Maa Katyayani Puja||Jupiter||Red|
|Day 7||Maa Kalratri Puja||Saturn||Blue|
|Day 8||Maa Mahagauri||Rahu||Pink|
|Day 9||Maa Siddhidatri||Ketu||Purple|
Rules to Light the Akhand Jyot
During the pious period of nine day long Navratri celebrations, the Akhand Jyot or the holy flame needs to be lit continuously. During this time, special care should be taken that this flame should not be extinguished even by mistake, nor should it ever be left alone. It is said that by lighting the Akhand Jyot during Navratri, Goddess Durga is pleased and she goes on to give desirable results to the person. Apart from this, take special care that the Akhand Jyot should always be lit only with pure cow Ghee. However, if there is no pure cow Ghee, then you can also light an Akhand Jyot with normal oil.
Additionally, it is believed that by lighting this, happiness, peace and prosperity enters the household and at the same time all that a person desires turns into a reality. Thus, the Akhand Jyot is lit during the Ghasthapand and kept the same all throughout the nine days and according to the rules, there is a provision to preserve the Akhand Jyot for the 9 days of Navratri.
Here are some additional rules to keep in mind!
- The Akhand Jyot should be placed on the right side of the Goddess’s picture or idol. However, if you are lighting it with oil, then keep it on the left side of the Goddess’s picture or idol..
- Apart from this, since the north-eastern direction of the house is considered to be the place of deities, therefore it is always auspicious to keep the Akhand Jyot in this direction.
- Take special care that you do not change the wick of the Akhand Jyot repeatedly.
Shubh Yogas During Navratri
We will now tell our readers what makes this Navratri even more special and precious. Let us now tell you that certain auspicious and fruitful yogas are going to get formed during this time. Let us find out about them.
- Vaidhriti Yoga is being formed on the first day of Navratri.
- Ravi Yoga is being formed on the second day of Navratri.
- Ravi Yoga is also being formed on the third day of Navratri.
- During the fourth day of Navratri, a conjunction of Saubhagya Yoga and Ravi Yoga is being formed.
- On the fifth day of Navratri, Ravi Yoga and Saubhagya Yoga is being formed.
- The auspicious conjunction of Shobhan and Ravi Yoga on the sixth day of Navratri is adding to the importance of this day.
- Sukarma Yoga is being formed on the seventh day of Navratri.
- Ravi Yoga is being formed on the eighth day of Navratri.
- Ravi Yoga is being formed on the ninth day of Navratri.
Is Luck Favourable or Unfavourable? Raj Yoga Report reveals it all!
Sharad Navratri : Things to Keep in Mind
- Even if you are not fasting on Navratri, you are still advised to follow a balanced and a Sattvic diet.
- During these nine days, avoid the consumption of onion, garlic, alcohol, meat and fish.
- During the nine days of Navratri, do not indulge in any fights, quarrels, discords etc.
- Do not disrespect any guest who visits your house during this period.
- Show your respect and adoration towards women, especially girls. Goddess Durga, the epitome of power cannot be worshipped in a house which doesn’t respect women.
- Maintain cleanliness during Navratri.
- Avoid wearing dark clothes and leather things during this period.
- Do not trim your beard, hair and nails throughout Navratri.
- If possible, never leave the house alone during Navratri. Avoid locking your house as Goddess resides there during these nine days.
- During these nine days, indulge yourself in Bhajan-Kirtan, Jagrata etc. to acquire the blessings of Maa Durga.
Day Wise Bhog Items For Navratri
Last, but not the least, we will also inform you about the Bhog items to follow as per various days of Navratri.
- On the first day of Navratri, one must offer Desi Ghee to Goddess Shailputri.
- On the second day, offer sugar, white sweets, sugar candy and fruits etc. to Brahmacharini Devi.
- On the third day, offer sweets and porridge (kheer) to Chandraghanta Devi.
- On the fourth day, offer Malpua to Kushmanda Devi.
- On the fifth day, offer Bananas as Bhog to Skandmata Devi.
- On the sixth day, offer honey to Goddess Katyayani.
- On the seventh day, offer jaggery related items to Goddess Kalratri.
- On the eighth day, offer coconut to Maa Mahagauri.
- On the final or the ninth day, offer pomegranate and sesame seeds to Siddhidatri Devi.
For Astrological Remedies & Services, Visit: AstroSage Online Shopping Store
Thank you for staying connected with AstroSage!