Rudraksha holds a significant place in the Hindu religion and it is chiefly used to achieve one’s desired results. Many Hindu beliefs state that the rudraksha is associated with Lord Shiva, which is why those following the Hindu Dharma deem it to be sacred. Lord Shiva is the destroyer of the Universe, as per the Hindu religion, and therefore, devotees find all their problems and pains disappearing on worshipping the rudraksha. Essentially, the sanskrit word Rudraksha is a combination of two words – ‘rudra’ and ‘aksh’, where, ‘rudra’ symbolises Lord Shiva whereas ‘aksh’ means his tears, i.e. ashru. As a whole, Rudraksha means ‘the tears of Lord Shiva’. It is also believed that all negative energies are fended off from anyone who wears the rudraksha, and even the bare minimum like its sight or touch can be enough to abolition many sins. These prayer beads are considered to be Lord Shiva’s boon on Earth and is much cherished by the devotees of Bhole Shankar. As a matter of fact, one can always see rudraksha malas (strings of beads) in the necks of the sadhus and sanyasis who worship Shivaji.
The Origin of Rudraksh: Mythological Tale Behind It
A story behind the origin of Rudraksha is described in the Shiva Mahapurana. As per the mythology in this scripture, Lord Shiva sat in meditation (samadhi) for a thousand years, and when he finally came out of it, then tears started flowing from his eyes for the sake of world welfare. Wherever each of his teardrops fell on the Earth, Rudraksha trees sprung up and spread all over the world, for the good of the devotees. The fruits on these trees were called rudraksha and they are believed to be the eliminator of sins and diseases, and the bestower of boons. One can obtain different benefits on wearing various types of rudraksha on our different body parts.
Religious & Scientific Importance & Beliefs
As per the Hindu beliefs and our Puranas, the blessings of rudraksha helps a person in achieving faith, work, salvation, and understanding the meaning of life. On the other hand, according to Science, a rudraksha emits rays like electromagnetic and paramagnetic waves which prove to be nothing less than a boon for the human life. Overall, if we say that the person wearing rudraksha is benefitted religiously, spiritually, and medically, then we will not be wrong.
Types of Rudraksha and Their Significance
There are different types of rudraksha – ranging from one faced (ek mukhi) to fourteen faced (chaudah mukhi), and every one of them has a different significance and wearing process. One must always ensure that the rudraksha is real and pure before wearing it because you will only benefit from it if the seed is not broken or has no worms, insects, etc. in it. Wearing a rudraksha is said to be very beneficial when one wants their desires fulfilled. It is believed that a person understands life and death after wearing it and is even able to achieve salvation. One can also wear a rudraksha to activate our inner powers and energies, and its medicinal properties help in getting rid of problems like stress and blood pressure as well. According to religious beliefs, a person wearing the rudraksha not only obtains the divine grace from Lord Shiva but is also blessed by all three Gods along with the nine planets (navagraha) in the entire solar system. Such a person is able to achieve favorable and positive results. Let us now discuss about the various types of rudraksha and their wearing processes.
Ek Mukhi or One Faced Rudraksha
Ek Mukhi Rudraksha, as per Hindu scriptures, consists of only one face and is known to be the imminent form of Lord Shiva. In the realm of astrology, it is ruled by Sun and known to be the mediator to awaken one’s self conscience. By adorning this rudraksha, one can gain temporal and transcendental experience. With its effect, a native develops self confidence within himself/herself and attains leadership qualities. You are able to perform well in every situation through your intellectual abilities.
Wearing Process –
- Sprinkle some gangajal or milk on the One Faced Rudraksha to purify it.
- Now, worship Lord Shiva by lighting the diya and incense stick and offering white flowers.
- Now chant the mantra ‘ॐ ह्रीं नम: / oṃ hrīṃ nama:’ 108 times.
- You can also chant the Surya Beej Mantra ‘ॐ ह्रां ह्रीं ह्रौं सः सूर्याय नमः / oṃ hrāṃ hrīṃ hrauṃ saḥ sūryāya namaḥ’ 108 times and wear the rudraksha.
- After this, it is auspicious to wear this bead on Sunday early morning or during Krittika, Uttara Phalguni और Uttarashada Nakshatra.
Do Mukhi or Two Faced Rudraksha
In order to maintain balance within the marital life, one can wear the Do Mukhi Rudraksha. As per the shastras, this rudraksha represents the Ardhnarishwar form of Lord Shiva and Moon rules this bead in astrology. In case Moon is weak in your kundli, you can wear Two Faced Rudraksha to strengthen its placement and attain fruitful results. Especially pregnant ladies must adorn it along with worshipping it for desired outcomes. This bead is helpful in getting rid of diseases related to left eye, lungs, heart and brain.
- One must wear the Two Faced Rudraksha in either a white or black thread or gold or silver chain.
- Before wearing, purify it with gangajal or water.
- Venerate Lord Shiva-Mata Parvati and offer them white flowers.
- Now, chant the Chandra Beej Mantra ‘ॐ श्रां श्रीं श्रौं सः चन्द्रमसे नमः / oṃ śrāṃ śrīṃ śrauṃ saḥ candramase namaḥ’ 108 times.
- You can also chant the rudraksha mantra ‘ॐ नम: / oṃ nama:’ 108 times and wear the bead.
- After this, you can wear this rudraksha on a Monday or during Hasta, Rohini, Shravana Nakshatra.
Teen Mukhi or Three Faced Rudraksha
Teen Mukhi Rudraksha must be worn to seek the blessings of Lord Brahma, Lord Vishnu and Lord Shiva or Mahesh. In Vedic astrology, Mars rules this rudraksha. Adorning this rudraksha helps to eliminate any chances of Mangal Dosha in one’s kundli. It can also be worn for the attainment of knowledge. Also, it helps to purify the mind and heart as well.
- Three Faced Rudraksha can be worn after purifying it with gangajal or raw milk.
- After this, worship Lord Hanuman by lighting the diya-incense and offering red flowers in front of his idol/picture.
- Now chant the Mangal Beej Mantra ‘ॐ क्रां क्रीं क्रौं सः भौमाय नमः / oṃ krāṃ krīṃ krauṃ saḥ bhaumāya namaḥ’.
- You can also wear the rudraksha by chanting the rudraksha mantra ‘ॐ क्लीं नमः / oṃ klīṃ namaḥ’ 108 times.
- After performing the above ritual, you can wear this bead on Tuesday early morning or during the Mrigashira, Chitra, Dhanishta Nakshatra.
Char Mukhi or Four Faced Rudraksha
Char Mukhi Rudraksha is related to one of the Three Powers, i.e. Lord Brahma. Hence, anyone wearing this rudraksha gains the blessings of Lord Brahma and his/her intellectual capacity improves. Four Faced Rudraksha is governed by the planet Mercury. By wearing it, a natives witnesses a positive change in himself/herself. This bead is effective in eliminating disorders and diseases related to kidney and thyroid.
- Four Faced Rudraksha should be bathed with milk or gangajal before being worn.
- After this, offer yellow flower and light a diya to venerate Lord Vishnu.
- Now chant the rudraksha mantra ‘ॐ ह्रीं नम: / oṃ hrīṃ nama:’ 108 times.
- You can also chant the Budh Beej Mantra ‘ॐ ब्रां ब्रीं ब्रौं सः बुधाय नमः / oṃ brāṃ brīṃ brauṃ saḥ budhāya namaḥ’ 108 and wear the rudraksha.
- After this, you can adorn this bead on Wednesday or during Ashlesha, Jyeshta, Revati Nakshatra.
Panch Mukhi or Five Faced Rudraksha
As per Vedic Astrology, Jupiter governs over the Panch Mukhi Rudraksha. Adorning this rudraksha helps to attain mental peace and positive changes in health. Also, it adds to the longevity of the native who wears it. It is believed that whosoever wears this bead gets blessed from the five forms of Lord Shiva. One gets shielded from any mishap or accident after wearing this rudraksha.
- Wear the Five Faced Rudraksha plated in gold or silver.
- Worship Lord Vishnu with diyas and flowers after purifying the rudraksha with raw milk or gangajal.
- Then, chant the mantra ‘ॐ ह्रीं नम: / oṃ hrīṃ nama:’ 108 times.
- Now you can wear the rudraksha after chanting the Guru Beej Mantra, ‘ॐ ग्रां ग्रीं ग्रौं सः गुरवे नमः / oṃ grāṃ grīṃ grauṃ saḥ gurave namaḥ’ 108 times.
- Also, you can adorn this bead on Thursday during the Punarvasu, Vishakha, Purva Bhadrapad Nakshatra.
Chah Mukhi or Six Faced Rudraksha
Chah Mukhi Rudraksha is known to the form of Lord Shiva’s son Lord Kartikeya. Those who wear this rudraksha gets rid from the sin of Brahma Hatya. Venus is the ruler of this planet and represents love, beauty, attractiveness and creative skills. Whomsoever adorns this rudraksha gets rid of eye, neck and urinary related disorders. Along with that, there seems to be an increase in the knowledge and willpower of a native and happiness prevails in the life.
- Six Faced Rudraksha should be sprinkled or bathed in gangajal or raw milk before adornment.
- Now, worship Lord Kartikeya by offering him diyas and incense.
- Now, chant the Rudraksha Mantra ‘ॐ ह्रीं हूं नम: / oṃ hrīṃ hūṃ nama:’ 108 times.
- As Venus is the ruling planet of this rudraksha, hence Shukra Mantra ‘ॐ द्रां द्रीं द्रौं सः शुक्राय नमः / oṃ drāṃ drīṃ drauṃ saḥ śukrāya namaḥ’ can be chanted 108 times before wearing it.
- Now either on Friday or during Bharani, Purva Phalguni, Purvashadha Nakshatra, wear this rudraksha.
Saat Mukhi or Seven Faced Rudraksha
Wearing Saat Mukhi Rudraksha helps to fight back negative energies as Lord Hanuman and Seven Goddesses rules it. Saturn is known to be the governing planet of this rudraksha, which is why wearing it can help cure malefic influence of Saturn. At the same time, wearing seven face rudraksha helps to get rid from diseases such as impotence, gastric, muscle weakness, physical deformities and disabilities, social anxiety and epilepsy. Along with this, it also helps to improve the financial condition of the wearer. Natives with numerology number 8 gain fruitful results after wearing this rudraksha.
- Seven Faced Rudraksha should be washed with Gangajal.
- After this, offer black sesame seeds and diya-incense to Lord Bhairav.
- Chant the mantra “ॐ हूं नम: / oṃ hūṃ nama:”.
- Chant the Shani Beej Mantra ,‘ॐ प्रां प्रीं प्रौं सः शनैश्चराय नमः / oṃ prāṃ prīṃ prauṃ saḥ śanaiścarāya namaḥ’ 108 times.
- Wear this rudraksha in a black or red thread on Saturday after sunset or during Pushya, Anuradha, Uttara Bhadrapada Nakshatra.
Aath Mukhi or Eight Faced Rudraksha
Wearing Aath Mukhi Rudraksha helps to eliminate several obstacles persisting in one’s life. As per the Shiva Puranas, this type of rudraksha is known to be the divine form of Lord Bhairav. In astrology, Rahu rules http://astrosage.com/hindi/nakshatra/anuradha-nakshatra-characteristics.aspthis rudraksha. The domicillation of Lord Ganesh, Goddess Ganga and Lord Kartikeya is believed to be within this rudraksha. In case you’re looking for popularity and mass appreciation, this is the bead to wear. It can be worn around the neck and kept on the altar. Wearing it after energizing it can eliminate the chances of Pitru Dosha. It also proves to be effective in the cases of skin and bone-related diseases. Eight Faced Rudraksha can also be worn for achieving mental peace.
- Clean Eight Faced Rudraksha with milk and Gangajal.
- After this, offer diya, flowers and incense to Lord Ganesh and worship him.
- Now, chanting of Rahu Beej Mantra ‘ॐ भ्रां भ्रीं भ्रौं सः राहवे नमः / oṃ bhrāṃ bhrīṃ bhrauṃ saḥ rāhave namaḥ’.
- You can also chant the Rudraksha Mantra ‘ॐ हुं नम: / oṃ huṃ nama:’ 108 times.
- After completing these rituals, this rudraksha can be worn on Saturday or during Swati, Satabhisha, Ardra Nakshatra.
Nau Mukhi or Nine Faced Rudraksha
Nau Mukhi Rudraksha is governed by Maa Durga and known to be the symbol of nine forms of the Goddess. In the realm of Astrology, planet Ketu is considered to be the ruling planet of this rudraksha. Whomsoever adorns this rudraksha gets rid of the malefic effects of Ketu. also, wearing this rudraksha helps in swiping out the effects of Kaal Sarp Dosha. It also adds to the courage and determination in a native. In order to develop leadership qualities and get rid of physical and mental disorders, this rudraksha is worn.
- Cleanse the rudraksha with the sacred Gangajal and Raw MIlk before wearing.
- Offer red sandalwood, diya, incense to Maa Durga and venerate her.
- Ketu Mantra ‘ॐ स्रां स्रीं स्रौं सः केतवे नमः / oṃ srāṃ srīṃ srauṃ saḥ ketave namaḥ’ should be chanted 108 times.
- You can adorn the rudraksha by chanting the Rudraksha Mantra ‘ऊँ ह्रीं हुं नम: / ūm̐ hrīṃ huṃ nama:’ 108 times.
- After this, you can wear this rudraksha on Wednesday, Saturday or during the Ashwini, Magha, Mool Nakshatra.
Dus Mukhi or Ten Faced Rudraksha
Dus Mukhi Rudraksha is associated with Lord Vishnu and adorned to get rid of fear, evil eye etc. Natives who practice Tantra-Mantra can wear this to attain beneficial results. Wearing Ten Faced Rudraksha eliminates diseases related to eye, stomach and asthma. Also, a native can shield himself/herself from black magic by wearing this bead. By wearing this Rudraksh, adverse effects of every planet gets dispelled.
- Ten Faced Rudraksha is cleansed with gangajal or milk before wearing.
- Offer Diya-incense and flowers to Lord Vishnu.
- After that, chant the Rudraksha Mantra, ‘ॐ ह्रीं नम: / oṃ hrīṃ nama:’ 108 times.
- After this, it can be worn on Sunday or Monday.
Gyarah Mukhi or Eleven Faced Rudraksha
As per Shiva Purana, Gyarah Mukhi Rudraksha is said to be the form of Rudradev, the rudra avatar of Lord Shiva. Along with that, this rudraksha is also known to be the symbol of Lord Indra. This rudraksha can be worn to strengthen any aspect of life. One who adorns it gains a dominating hand over his/her opponents. Wearing the rudraksha on the tuft is considered to be very auspicious. One gets rid of several mental disorders by wearing this bead. Women unable to conceive can wear this rudraksha with a an assured mind for desired results. By wearing this Rudraksha, there is an increase in one’s strength, intelligence and courage. Also, it proves to be very beneficial for traders and businessmen, as new sources of income pop up. It also helps to get rid of several diseases and disorders.
- Eleven Faced Rudraksha must be washed and purified before wearing.
- Sprinkle gangajal or raw milk on the rudraksha to cleanse it.
- After this, Lord Hanuman must be venerated.
- Flowers and diyas must be offered to Lord Hanuman and ‘ॐ ह्रीं हूं नम: / oṃ hrīṃ hūṃ nama:’ must be chanted 108 times.
- After this, Gyarah Mukhi Rudraksha can be worn on Tuesday.
Barah Mukhi or Twelve Faced Rudraksha
Barah Mukhi Rudraksha or Twelve Faced Rudraksha is known to be the form of Lord Vishnu. Wearing this enables the native to attain happiness from the two realms (Earth and Heaven). One can wear it to get rid of eye-related disorders. This rudraksha is also associated with planet Sun, which is why anyone adorning this rudraksha attains the blessings of Lord Sun. Along with it, one gets rid of incurable diseases as well as mind and heart related disorders. Wearing it helps to improve intellect and gain wealth and comfort. Those of spiritual nature can wear this rudraksha, as it will be favourable for them.
- Twelve Faced Rudraksha must be purified before wearing.
- Wash it with raw milk or Gangajal.
- Offer diya, incense and flowers to Lord Sun.
- Then, Surya Beej Mantra, ‘ॐ ह्रां ह्रीं ह्रौं सः सूर्याय नमः / oṃ hrāṃ hrīṃ hrauṃ saḥ sūryāya namaḥ’ must be chanted 108 times.
- Along with that, you can also chant the mantra ‘ॐ क्रों श्रों रों नमः / oṃ kroṃ śroṃ roṃ namaḥ’ 108 times.
- After fulfilling this procedure, wear this rudraksha on Sunday.
Terah Mukhi Rudraksha or Thirteen Faced Rudraksha
Terah Mukhi Rudraksha or Thirteen Faced Rudraksha is associated with Venus and Lord Indra. This rudraksha is worn to attain desirable results as well as attractive personality. As this rudraksha is associated with Lord Kamdev, married natives are suggested to wear this rudraksha for fruitful results. Wearing this eliminates any chances of arguments or disagreements within marriage. It can also be worn to gain desirable outcomes in the love life and is helpful for conception.
- Before wearing, purify the thirteen faced rudraksha by using Gangajal or Raw MIlk.
- After that, light a diya and incense stick, offer flowers and worship Goddess Laxmi.
- After this, the Shukra Mantra, “ॐ द्रां द्रीं द्रौं सः शुक्राय नमः / oṃ drāṃ drīṃ drauṃ saḥ śukrāya namaḥ” must be chanted.
- You can chant the Rudraksha Mantra ‘ॐ ह्रीं नम: / oṃ hrīṃ nama:’ 108 times.
- After completing this process, wear the Thirteen Faced Rudraksha on Friday.
As you know that there are different types of Rudraksha with each having its own distinct characteristics. Therefore, before wearing a Rudraksha, you must seek an astrological consultation, because astrologers will recommend you the right bead according to your kundli. Along with this, it should be worn by following the proper rituals.