In Hinduism, Saraswati is known as the Goddess of Knowledge, music, art, wisdom and learning. Saraswati is the daughter of Lord Shiva and Goddess Durga. It is believed that Saraswati endows human beings with the powers of speech, wisdom and learning. She represents the free flow of wisdom and conscious state of mind. She is a part of Trinity (Tridevi) Saraswati, Lakshmi and Parvati.
Meaning of Saraswati
Saraswati, sometimes spelled as Sarasvati, is basically derived from the Sanskrit word. It is comprised of two words i.e. “Sara” and “Sva” which means “essence” and “oneself” respectively. Combined these two words give the knowledge about “essence of oneself” and accordingly, the word “Saraswati” means “one who leads to essence of self-knowledge”. We have described here few mantras to please the Goddess of Knowledge.
Importance of Saraswati Mantra
The regular chanting of “Saraswati Mantra” can improve the speech, knowledge, memory and concentration in studies. By chanting this Mantra, the memory and learning become easy for the chanter. If somebody recites the Mantras with full dedication, then he may get the fruitful results for the same, like he may clear his exams with good percentage or he may get selected as a job aspirant in a good organization. People also perform Saraswati Puja to please the Goddess Saraswati to obtain better results in examinations. Here are 12 Saraswati Mantras that can change your life in a positive way:
1.a). Saraswati Bija Mantra: This mantra is chanted to offer salutations to “Maa Saraswati”
ॐ ऐं क्लीं सौः॥
“Om Aim Kleem Sauh॥”
b). Mahasaraswati Mantra: This mantra is also chanted to offer salutations to “Goddess Saraswati”.
ॐ ऐं महासरस्वत्यै नमः॥
“Om Aim Mahasarasvatyai Namah॥”
2. Saraswati mantra for enhancing intelligence: This mantra is chanted to enhance the intelligence level.
ॐ ऐं ह्रीं श्रीं वाग्देव्यै सरस्वत्यै नमः॥
“Om Aim Hreem Shreem Vagdevyai sarasvatyai Namah॥”
3. Saraswati mantra for increasing wealth and wisdom: This mantra is chanted to increase in wealth and knowledge.
ॐ अर्हं मुख कमल वासिनी पापात्म क्षयम्कारी
वद वद वाग्वादिनी सरस्वती ऐं ह्रीं नमः स्वाहा॥
“Om Arham Mukha Kamala Vasini Papatma Kshayamkari
Vad Vad Vagvadini Saraswati Aim Hreem Namah Svaha॥”
4. Saraswati Puranokta Mantra: It will provide inner peace and strength in distress by reciting this mantra.
या देवी सर्वभूतेषु विद्यारूपेण संस्थिता।
नमस्तस्यै नमस्तस्यै नमस्तस्यै नमो नमः॥
“Ya Devi Sarvabhuteshu Vidyarupena Samsthita।
Namastasyai Namastasyai Namastasyai Namo Namah॥”
5. Saraswati Gayatri Mantra: This mantra is chanted to attain success in career and education.
ॐ ऐं वाग्देव्यै विद्महे कामराजाय धीमहि। तन्नो देवी प्रचोदयात्॥
“Om Aim Vagdevyai Vidmahe Kamarajaya Dhimahi।
Tanno Devi Prachodayat॥”
6. Saraswati Vidya Mantra for Students: This mantra is chanted to improve the memory and knowledge. It is recommended for those students who struggle to clear their exams.
सरस्वति नमस्तुभ्यं वरदे कामरूपिणि ।
विद्यारम्भं करिष्यामि सिद्धिर्भवतु मे सदा ॥
“Saraswati Namasthubhyam Varade Kamarupini
Vidhyarambam Karishyami Siddhir Bavathume Sadha”
7. Saraswati Vandana: This mantra is chanted to remove weariness, sluggishness and ignorance.’ It is also chanted to receive the blessings of “Maa Saraswati” and protection from worldly immoral things.
या कुन्देन्दुतुषारहारधवला या शुभ्रवस्त्रावृता
या वीणावरदण्डमण्डितकरा या श्वेतपद्मासना ।
या ब्रह्माच्युतशंकरप्रभृतिभिर्देवैः सदा पूजिता
सा मां पातु सरस्वति भगवती निःशेषजाड्यापहा ॥
“Yaa Kundendu tushaara haaradhavalaa, Yaa shubhravastraavritha
Yaa veenavara dandamanditakara, aa shwetha padmaasana |
Yaa brahmaachyutha shankara, prabhritibhir Devaisadaa Vanditha
Saa Maam Paatu Saraswatee Bhagavatee Nihshesha jaadyaapahaa ||”
8. Saraswati Mantra for enhancing intelligence: This mantra is chanted by the students to increase in intelligence level and make the learning easy in order to score good marks in examinations.
सरस्वति महाभागे विद्ये कमललोचने ।
विद्यारूपे विशालाक्षि विद्यां देहि नमोस्तुते ॥
“Saraswati Mahabhage Vidye Kamalalochane
Vishwaroope Vishaalaakshi Vidyam dehi namosthute”
9. Saraswati Mantra to gain powerful and proper speech: Children, who have the speech disability, can recite this mantra so that they can have proper and clear speech in near future.
वद वद वाग्वादिनी स्वाहा ।
“Vad Vad Vaagwaadinee Swaha”
10. Saraswati Mantra for illumination: This mantra is chanted to illuminate the minds of knowledge seekers.
महो, अर्णः सरस्वती प्रचेयति केतुना, धियो विश्व विराजति
“Maho, Arnah Saraswati Pracheyati Ketuna, Dhiyo Vishwa Virajati”
11. Saraswati Mantra for knowledge: By reciting this mantra, one can increase the mental capability and considerably increase the knowledge gain.
ॐ नमो भगवती सरस्वती परमेश्वरी
वाग्वादिनी मम विद्या देहि भगवती
भंस वाहिनी हंस समारूढा बुद्धि देहि देहि
प्राज्ञा देहि देहि विद्या परमेश्वरी सरस्वती स्वाहा
“Om Namo Bhagwati Saraswati Parmeshwari
Vaagvaadini Mam Vidhya Dehi Bhagwati
Bhans Vaahini Hans Samarudha Buddhi
Dehi Dehi Pragya Dehi Dehi
Vidhya Parmeshwari Saraswati Swaha”
12. Saraswati Dhyan Mantra: This mantra is chanted to enhance the concentration power or to meditate.
ॐ सरस्वती मया दृष्ट्वा, वीणा पुस्तक धारणीम् ।
हंस वाहिनी समायुक्ता मां विद्या दान करोतु में ॐ ।।
“Om Saraswati Mayaa Drishtwa, Veena Pustak Dharnim |
Hans Vahini Samayuktaa Maa Vidya Daan Karotu Me Om ||”