We have all seen our elders light a lamp in the morning and/or evening at our homes. However, what is the significance of this diya that they ask us to light in front of our Gods and Goddesses daily? Our everyday and each auspicious function begins with the lighting of these lamps in the temples at our home and then praying to our deities. This practice of lighting lamps is an integral part of our lives today, and is also prevalent in many Bollywood movies and TV shows. However, not many of us know that there are certain important astrological reasons behind this pious process explained in our Hindu Shastras. We will discuss these significances of lighting lamps at home with this blog.
Talk To Astrologers On Call @ AstroSage Varta
Symbolism of the Lamp (Diya)
The diya that we light in our homes is full of symbolism as per our Hindu culture and religion. This deepak not only removes the darkness from our homes, but from our hearts and minds as well and purifies us. The fire, one of the five elements (panchtatva) – air, water, fire, earth, and space, is the purest element and the best way of offering our salutations to God. The lamps are basically supposed to be lit at the two out of three sandhi kaals, i.e., at dusk and at dawn. It is done to banish all the negative energies that are prevalent during these times and bring light and energy into our lives. We should always start our daily prayers by lighting a lamp in our home while chanting this shloka:
शुभं करोति कल्याणं आरोग्यं धनसंपदा ।
शत्रुबुद्धिविनाशाय दीपज्योतिर्नमोऽस्तु ते ।।
śubhaṃ karoti kalyāṇaṃ ārogyaṃ dhanasaṃpadām ।
śatrubuddhivināśāya dīpajyotirnamo’stu te ।।
After we light the lamp, we chant this mantra:
दीपज्योति:परब्रह्म दीपज्योतिर्जनार्दन: ।
दीपो हरतु मे पापं दीपज्योतिर्नमोऽस्तु ते ।।
dīpajyoti:parabrahma dīpajyotirjanārdana: ।
dīpo haratu me pāpaṃ dīpajyotirnamo’stu te ।।
Click here to know United States Holidays 2020
Importance of Lighting Lamps at Home
- As we light up the diya/lamp, it removes the darkness from our homes, implying that all the negative energies and vibes are removed from around us.
- The light from the diya signifies knowledge whereas the darkness it repels is a symbol of our ignorance.
- Lighting a diya at home activates the Sun in a native’s birth chart and makes it more auspicious. The Sun’s positive effects on a person can help him/her live a regal life.
- This light in the lamp is a form of Agni or fire – a sacred and important element amongst the Panchtatva, implying that our surroundings are now pure and pious after the lamp lighting.
Most Accurate Career Counselling For You: CogniAstro Professional Report
- Lighting the lamp in our homes increases auspiciousness, sanctity, spirituality, and prosperity in and around us, as the light symbolises these characteristics.
- Every part of the diya symbolises one of the three main Goddesses of Hindu religion:
- The ghee/oil and the flame signifies Goddess Lakshmi, the Goddess of Wealth.
- The brightness of the flame, resembles Goddess Saraswati, who bestows us with education and knowledge.
- The heat from the flame signifies Goddess Durga, who burns away and destroys all evil.
- When we light a lamp, the fire always points up, signifying that it is trying to elevate your soul to the Almighty.
- In Rigveda, agni is called ‘pavakka’ which means pure. Therefore, lighting a diya at our home helps create great sattvik ambiance and ensure that everything is good, right, and pious.
- The lit diya activates the positive aura around us, thereby keeping all our problems away.
- Even scientifically, it has been realised that the light from the lamp drives away the negative aura from the room, fills our surroundings with positivity, and penetrates our skin to cure our body of common diseases.
Know how strong is your immunity – Health Index Calculator
Now that you know why our elders always asked us to light a diya at home regularly, we hope that you will take away some time from your hectic lifestyle to light a lamp before you leave home in the morning and after you return in the evening.
For regular updates, blogs and predictions, connect with us on Twitter @AstroSageSays!
Thank you for being with AstroSage!